EASY PURÉE FOODS FOR ADULTS
If you have any concerns about you or
a loved one changing to a puréed diet,
have a read of our handy tips.
When you or a loved one is required to make a change to a puréed diet, as a result of swallowing difficulties (known as Dysphagia), then you may have some concerns surrounding mealtimes.
A good starting point is understanding what foods are safe to eat, what foods you should avoid with dysphagia and the process of how to purée food.
At Wiltshire Farm Foods, we are purée food specialists, with this in mind we wanted to share a few handy tips to reassure you that adapting to a textured modified diet can be easy and enjoyable with the right information.
Softer Foods for Swallowing Difficulties
Post diagnosis, your healthcare professional will advise you on the best of type of softer food diet for you. They come in a range of levels, click on these links to find out more:
Level 4 - Purée
Level 5 – Minced
Level 6 – Soft and Bite Sized
Below we have discussed the best types of foods to consume on a softer food or textured modified diet, based on mealtimes throughout the day.
Wake up and kick-start your day with a wholesome and delicious breakfast. There are several breakfast options available for when living on a dysphagia diet.
- Puréed Eggs are a great option for a source of protein – scrambled or poach both work well.
- Tick off one of your five a day, with mashed banana
- This can all be accompanied with a glass of orange juice or a warm cup of coffee or tea. All liquids should be thickened to the right consistency advised to you by your healthcare professional.
- Smoothies are also a good way to include vegetables and fruit into your diet. Ensure all ingredients are skinned and seedless and made to the right consistency for you.
Alternatively, you can view our range of easy to prepare breakfast items at Wiltshire Farm Foods, including an all-day breakfast and porridge.
A midday meal really sets us up for the afternoon.
- If you fancy a light lunch, a delicious warming soup can be satisfying. They can be made in a number of flavours, meaning no lunch needs to be the same. Alternatively, you could opt for one of our tastypuréed toasties,fillings include cheese, tuna or bacon – your choice!
- If you fancied something more filling, scrambled eggs on toast provides a good source of protein or opt for a traditional favourite of beans on toast. Whilst baked beans will have a skin on and bread can be difficult to blend safely, you can take the hassle out of this by trying ourPuréed Beans on Toast.
When it comes to dinner time, there’s an array of dishes to choose from. Many recipes can be transformed into a purée version for you to enjoy. Here are a few purée recipe ideas:
- A flavoursome broth, stew or casserole, filled with vegetables or meat which are blended to become puréed.
- Or go Italian by eating a puréed version of macaroni cheese or pasta in seasoned tomato sauce. Be aware of skins and seeds in the sauce.
- A puréed Sunday lunch favourite of chicken (or beef or pork, if you prefer) in gravy with a side of vegetables and mashed potato.
Tips:introducing appropriately thickened sauces and gravies to your cooking will help enhance the flavour of your purée recipe dishes and may also aid an individual’s ability to eat more comfortably.
Want something simpler to prepare? You can browse our great tasting selection of soft food dishes to just pop in your oven or microwave to cook.
Being on a textured modified diet does not mean missing out on those sweet treats. From mousses to cakes, there is something for everyone. Here are a few ideas:
- Mousses – these are easy to make, light on the stomach and can be made in a range of flavours – strawberry, chocolate, lemon – you decide!
- Cakes – perfect as an after-dinner dessert or afternoon treat. You can make puréed cakes at home; however we also offer a delicious selection for you to enjoy without the making and baking.
We have a range of hot or cold desserts to satisfy that sweet tooth. We have cakes, pies, sponges and more.
What Should a Purée Be Like to Eat?
- Have a smooth texture throughout with no lumps
- No biting or chewing is required
- Can hold shape on plate and spoon/fork
You can check your purée dishes are made to the right texture by undertaking an IDDSI food test, taking this precaution ensures your food is safe and ready for consumption.